Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blog #4


I think that the importance of integration is different at different age levels. I know that in our ever-progressive world in 2012, computers and technology are a part of life. That being said, I think that the implementation of technology should increase with age. I agree with Monke and his cohorts who say that integrating technology too early is far more detrimental than it is beneficial. Where technology can be productive if used correctly, I think it harbors more complications and negative effects than benefits. I think that a majority of the time, technology is implemented merely because it is technology. I don't think that using a computer would help a student learn anymore than using blocks or drawing or the basic methods that I used growing up. I am not saying that computers would take over all subjects and all approaches to learning; even I used computers early on for various things. I just believe that a student should learn to work with what is physically around him/her and use their own creativity and imagination. A child who has lost or dulled their imagination is at risk of far greater problems that not using a computer when 7 years old. I do think that technology should not be implemented until the child is in about fourth or fifth grade. I just can't see a reason that it should used any earlier. There were examples given in favor of technology early on, and of of the examples given was: Thomley's class was given gummi bears to count on the screen. They were also given as actual gummi bears on the desk that the student could physically count. I don't really understand why the teacher even uses the computer if he/she has already given the actual gummi bears to the children. The only beneficial aspect of technology in this situation is that children who understand faster can advance faster ahead of the class, while the teacher can focus on the student who is having more trouble. 
I do also think that some children are too young for technology, because the children need to develop themselves first and learn to think by themselves first. They need to exercise their imaginations and learn to interact with the teacher and fellow students. I do also believe that technology can interfere with young child socialization because they can become "hooked" on the computer too early when they should be making friends. I have seen many kids who grew up in technology and now really lack social skills. Some people rely totally on their technology to survive, and miss out on a lot of important things while entranced by the computer. 
The computer can be beneficial, but it has to be monitored and used wisely by the teacher and student to reap the benefits.



No comments:

Post a Comment